The course aims at enabling students to understand the main reasons that might justify, from a nor-mative point of view, State’s intervention in cases of emergency. It also analyses the different types of public intervention according to the emergencies’ typology and to the various stages of an emer-gency. Emphasis will be placed on the importance of policy evaluation. The course also aims to de-velop analytical skills and “problem solving” capability through the analysis of case studies.
1. Definition and types of emergency.
2. Theoretical reasons of public intervention in emergency situations.
3. Funding and public policies in emergency situations.
4. Public-private partnership in emergency and disaster management
5. Information system for emergency management and Disaster Risk.
6. Ex-ante and ex-post policy evaluation.
7. Coordination between central and local government to prevent and manage emergencies.
8. Sustainable development and multidimensional approach to well-being.
9. “Case study”.
The final grade is determined by the performances obtained in a written exam on the entire course outline.
Via Carlo Montanari, 9
VAT number 01541040232
Italian Fiscal Code 93009870234
© 2021 | Verona University | Credits